RE: can we write to a flat file from Postgresql procedure

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeckermann(at)verio(dot)net>
To: "'R Vijayanath'" <vijayanath(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: can we write to a flat file from Postgresql procedure
Date: 2001-07-11 15:15:09
Lists: pgsql-sql

I don't think there is any way to do this using any of the generally
available tools.

You could do a workaround using pl/pgsql, in the following way:
* insert your data into a temp table
* output the data to a file using COPY

pl/pgsql allows INSERT statements, but does not allow CREATE/DROP TABLE or
COPY statements. Those can be constructed using EXECUTE, which takes a
string (which can be constructed using parameters) and passes it on to be
executed as an SQL statement.

For more information, check out the PostgreSQL documentation, especially on
pl/pgsql (under "Procedural Languages") and COPY (under "SQL Commands").