Catch-22

From: "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Catch-22
Date: 2008-03-17 14:58:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi:

After running intoa problem last week where I cannot rename an existing
DB because it's reported to not exist (I can attach to it and query OK,
but rename gives... "database foo does not exist"), I've done a full
dump of the DB and want to delete/recreate it with the backup. But I
can't "dropdb" because "database foo does not exist".

What's the course I should take at this point? I could "rm -r" the DB
root (the piece after the "-D" in pg_ctl commands), but that may screw
things up even worse.

Again, I have a backup and want to delete the DB, but can't because the
"dropdb" tool says the DB does not exist.

v8.2.0 on Linux (and yes, I've requested an upgrade to 8.2.6)

-dave