Re: Fwd: Restarting with pg_ctl, users, and passwords.

From: aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net (Adrian Klaver)
To: "Matthew Pettis" <matthew(dot)pettis(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Craig Ringer" <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Restarting with pg_ctl, users, and passwords.
Date: 2008-08-20 20:32:22
Lists: pgsql-general

From: "Matthew Pettis" <matthew(dot)pettis(at)gmail(dot)com>
> SOLVED.
>
> Yep, Restart was done.
>
> The issue turned out not to be with Postgresql config, but the app
> config. In the app, I define a connection string, which has user,
> password, and databasename. When I had this same configuration on
> WinXP, I did not need to specify a fourth parameter, the host, which
> explicitly told the app to use host=localhost. When I added the host
> param to the connection string, it all went through.
>
> On the bright side, I learned a lot about how to restart the service
> and the config files...
>
> Curious: Any ideas why I can leave the host off my connection string
> in WinXP, but not Linux? It it an idiosyncracy of my app, or of
> PostgreSQL?
>
> Thanks for all the help,
> Matt

Is the Linux app running on the Postgres server machine?
If so I hazard a guess that you have a line like:

local all all trust

before your host line in pg_hba.

The app connecting from the same machine would try the local socket (local) before the localhost(tcp/ip), unless localhost was specified in the connection string.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net