Hardware Recommendations

From: "Gregory Wood" <gregw(at)com-stock(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL-General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Hardware Recommendations
Date: 2001-07-25 21:09:14
Lists: pgsql-general

We're putting together specs for a nice PostgreSQL/FreeBSD server here and
I'd like some advice from some of you more experienced people out there.

Our dataset currently consists of a few dozen tables with anywhere from a
handful of records (lookup tables) to 65K records. There will be quite a few
INSERTs and UPDATEs (which also include more INSERTs via triggers), but the
majority of queries should still be SELECTs (with joins).

Future possible plans include increasing the number of SELECTs (once we are
sure that the server can handle the load), as well as adding a few hundred
tables of 50K records. Those 50K tables will be dropped and recreated on a
somewhat regular basis.

With all of that in mind... we were looking at a Dual PIII 1GHz w/2GB SDRAM
(god I love cheap RAM) and a 10K RPM SCSI drive. I'd love to hear any
suggestions, comments, etc. We'd also like to know if anyone recommends
upgrading to Xeons or quad processors.

Thanks!

Greg