Re: "AS" by the syntax of table reference.(8.4 proposal)

From: "Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "AS" by the syntax of table reference.(8.4 proposal)
Date: 2008-02-08 19:15:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>

> Hmm, since c_expr is so restrictive, is that really going to satisfy
> anybody who expects to be able to omit AS? With the number of
> unreserved keywords we have, the restriction to IDENT for the label
> seems like it's going to be a constant source of gotchas as well. Both
> of these limitations are contrary to the SQL spec, too --- SQL99 says
> that a SELECT-list element is
>
> <derived column> ::=
> <value expression> [ <as clause> ]
>
> <as clause> ::= [ AS ] <column name>

Ahhh yes....

> so we really need to support at least ColId as the allowed set of
> column alias names. (I tried changing the patch to do that, but
> got a lot of shift/reduce conflicts, some of which are maybe fixable
> but some seem hard to fix.)
>
> I think that simply saying "it's not supported" is going to be easier to
> deal with than people trying to use it and complaining that this or that
> case doesn't work.

Um, I think that it is supported by "AS." Then, How to use as before is allowed.
I think that I do not see a complaint to it. Although what is told clearly is desired,
I think that there are many people needed. Therefore, it is believed that this
needs to hear many opinions. I'm violently required.

I'm looking at such realization.
http://winpg.jp/~saito/psqlODBC/SQLServer_linkserver_PostgreSQL2.png
PostgreSQL works hard in a fit place. !!
And a system will be operated in cooperation. :-)

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito