LISTEN/NOTIFY improvements?

From: Aaron Hillegass <aaron(at)bignerdranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: LISTEN/NOTIFY improvements?
Date: 2004-12-16 22:22:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I am a programmer who works on a couple of products that use PostgreSQL
as their backend (http://www.nopali.com, http://www.iwanttops.com).
Both my clients need to receive notifications when rows in the database
change. Thus far, we've been rolling our own because LISTEN/NOTIFY
doesn't do what we need.

What we need is on the TODO list:
- Add optional textual message to NOTIFY: This would allow an
informational message to be added to the notify message, perhaps
indicating the row modified or other custom information.

I want to help get this done for 8.1, but lack the deep understanding
necessary. Is there someone on this list that I can beg/bribe to make
this happen? I would be delighted to do stress-testing and
benchmarking on the resulting code.

(Incidentally, there are two related TODO items you might want to take
care of while you are in there:
- Allow NOTIFY in rules involving conditionals
- Allow LISTEN/NOTIFY to store info in memory rather than tables?
Currently LISTEN/NOTIFY information is stored in pg_listener. Storing
such information in memory would improve performance.)

Regardless, thank you for all the great work that you have been doing;
PostgreSQL has made my life a better place.

Sincerely,
Aaron Hillegass
Big Nerd Ranch, Inc.
404-210-5663