Re: psql question

From: "Joe Conway" <joe(at)conway-family(dot)com>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "sqllist" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql question
Date: 2000-11-23 22:01:52
Lists: pgsql-sql

> > On machines where I've installed PostgreSQL 7.0.2 from RPM, psql allows
use
> > of the up arrow key for history and the escape/tab key for command
> > completion, but on my remote web host (webpipe.net) those keys don't
work.
> > What do I need to do to get these features working on my remote web
host?
> > I've seen reference to .psqlrc in the psql man file, but not much else
(no
> > syntax, etc).
>
> If you compiled from source, make sure you had the readline-devel package
> installed.

Thanks for your responses, Peter & Mathijs.

Actually, since the issue is on a hosted system, I don't have access to
recompile. I was hoping that maybe there would be something I could
configure from my own (non-root and non-postgres) account.

My question actaully took several days just to make it to the list, so in
the meantime I found my own work-around -- I copied local copies of psql and
libpq up to my account on the web host. Then I put my own account folder to
the front of the PATH and added a LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Now when I run 'psql' it
works just like on my own machine!

Thanks again for the response.

Joe