Re: Indexes generated for primary key are not show

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Constantin Stefanov" <cstef(at)mail(dot)ru>,"Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Indexes generated for primary key are not show
Date: 2004-02-09 09:56:58
Lists: pgadmin-support

Because if any generated SQL contains both object, it will be an invalid
script, not to mention the fact that you cannot properly recreate
constraints just by recreating the indexes.

> Constraint is something
> logical, index is a way to implement it. When I 'connect' a
> trigger to a table, there is trigger as a function, and
> trigger usage for a table. Yes, index is more tightly
> connected with its table, but in a case of a constraint it is
> still an index but system-generated.

Yes, which is exactly why it's hidden - in the same way we hide the
rules that implement views.

> And if it would be an option to show such indexes, such
> duplication is not a problem at all - if you turn this option
> on (it may be off by default), you know what you are doing
> and know that some constraints may be duplicated as indexes.

There speaks someone who doesn't provide support on these lists :-)

It will be a problem. People would switch on such an option whilst
playing and forget about it. We would then get lots of emails.

Regards, Dave.

pgadmin-support by date