Re: Page contents

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <euler(at)ufgnet(dot)ufg(dot)br>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Page contents
Date: 2003-11-14 21:40:04
Lists: pgsql-www

No comment. <grin>

> Seriously, the website serves a triple purpose: to serve the
> developers, current users, and advocacy. Traditionally, the
> concerns of the first 2 groups have always outweighed the
> last purpose; after all, keeping our
> *existing* people happy is more imporant than getting more people.

Yes, however I think we learnt long ago that our people are happy as
long as the content is accessible. The focus these days should be on our
userbase, and prospective users, and with the exception of a few
sections like the docs, that's all down to you guys. Things like release
notes, press releases, case studies, promo events, certified training,
support companies, jobs and so-on.

All we do is take text and put it on a nice format on a bunch of servers
:-)

> Also, I suck at HTML, am not a web designer (or a graphic
> designer, come to
> that) and am unlikely to personally write much of the code.
> So my advice is as Advocacy Geek and Techdocs leader and
> needs to be balanced by the web guys who have more experience
> implementing "content" sites.

That's exactly what I mean. I'm not a web designer by trade, but I have
been building interactive sites since 1992 (yes, 1992, that's not a
typo). However, I need to rely on you to tell me what to write on the
site - what I think is good marketing speak, probably doesn't work well
in your world :-).

Regards, Dave.