Re: DROP TYPE/DROP DOMAIN

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DROP TYPE/DROP DOMAIN
Date: 2003-08-05 01:29:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > According to that logic, a view is a table, but we still require DROP
VIEW
> > to drop a view.
>
> No, a view is not a table. Try putting an index or trigger on it.

It seems to me to be more correct that we make DROP TYPE not work on
domains. I refer to the principle of least surprise... People EXPECT it to
not work, therefore it shouldn't :)

There exists a perfectly good other command (drop domain) that works, and
you can't go alter type..add check(...) on a domain. Also, we don't want to
encourage people to use commands that maybe we might remove in the future...

Chris