Re: 2nd try @NetBSD/2.0 Alpha

From: "Larry Rosenman" <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'Martijn van Oosterhout'" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: "'PostgreSQL-development'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 2nd try @NetBSD/2.0 Alpha
Date: 2005-10-18 22:03:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> writes:
>> On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 04:04:42PM -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>>> Upped the stack to 8Mb. Now it dies in Plcheck.
>
>> Wierd, it's dying in malloc() because the C library called kill()
>> from __libc_mutex_unlock().
>
> I wonder if this is related to the "threaded libpython doesn't work"
> problem we've seen on some BSDen. Does this platform have separate
> implementations of libc for threaded and unthreaded applications?
> If so, and if libperl is trying to pull in a threaded libc along with
> itself, maybe this is the symptom you'd see. It's reasonably
> probable that this is the first call to malloc() after libperl has
> been loaded into the backend ...
>
> regards, tom lane

Doesn't appear to have a separate libc, HOWEVER, -lpthread may be screwing
us:

$ ldd perl
perl:
-lm.0 => /usr/lib/libm.so.0
-lcrypt.0 => /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.0
-lpthread.0 => /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0
-lperl =>
/usr/pkg/lib/perl5/5.8.0/alpha-netbsd-thread-multi/CORE/libperl.so
-lc.12 => /usr/lib/libc.so.12
$

I'm not the machines owner, but I can ask if we can get a NON-threaded PERL.

--
Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 972-414-9812 E-Mail: ler(at)lerctr(dot)org