Re: postgres startup method for ubuntu

From: "T(dot)J(dot) Adami" <adamitj(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres startup method for ubuntu
Date: 2008-01-31 10:35:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On 30 jan, 04:14, Jon Hancock <redstarl(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I have compiled postgres 8.3rc2 on ubuntu 7.04 and seem to a have
> working install.
> To start postgres, I do the following:
>
> > su postgres
> > /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data &
>
> ok, that works for dev mode. But what is the recommended approach to
> launch postgres at system boot?
> Sure, I can hack the above command in an init.d script and if it seems
> to work, thats nice.
> But since I'm a nube here, I think I should ask for the refined
> approach for a startup script. For example, in the mysql world, we
> have a safe_mysql script which takes care of startup "best practices".
>
> thanks, Jon

I am also searching for a more 'professional' way to startup and
shutdown postgresql on ubuntu and debian systems.

Everytime I deploy a PostgreSQL server in a ubuntu or debian based
server, I create some scripts called pg_start, pg_stop and pg_reload,
save them on default postgresql home dir. Then I create symbolic links
on /usr/bin, and so on I put pg_start on /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh.

However, I want to deploy it as a "native" linux service, as 'cron' or
'network', and really I dunno how to do it.