Snow Leopard and PG 8.4 problems....

From: Jerry LeVan <jerry(dot)levan(at)eku(dot)edu>
To: pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Snow Leopard and PG 8.4 problems....
Date: 2009-08-29 16:08:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Gaaaah,

Last week postgresql was working fine, yesterday I upgraded to
Snow Leopard...

Everything seemed to be working and then I tried to move some
rows to another machine via dblink.

I am getting a variety of failures on dblink_connect..

mbp is my main machine let me connect to my home server ( named server )

[mbp:~]$ psql -Ulevan -hserver
psql (8.4.0)
Type "help" for help.

levan=# select dblink_connect('host=mbp.skynet user=levan dbname=levan
password=foobar');
ERROR: could not establish connection
DETAIL: could not translate host name "mbp.skynet" to address:
nodename nor servname provided, or not known

levan=# select dblink_connect('host=mbp user=levan dbname=levan
password=foobar');
ERROR: could not establish connection
DETAIL: could not translate host name "mbp" to address: nodename nor
servname provided, or not known

levan=# select dblink_connect('host=mbp.localdomain user=levan
dbname=levan password=foobar');
ERROR: could not establish connection
DETAIL: could not translate host name "mbp.localdomain" to address:
nodename nor servname provided, or not known

levan=# select dblink_connect('host=192.168.1.80 user=levan
dbname=levan password=foobar');
dblink_connect
----------------
OK
(1 row)

The name resolution appears to be buggered. Now server is almost my
local network name
server and it appears to be working just fine ie I can use Safari send
mail etc...

Now if I hop on to server and connect to mbp psql and try to use
dblink...

[mbp:~]$ ssh server
Password:
Last login: Sat Aug 29 11:10:48 2009 from mbp.localdomain
server:~ jerry$ psql -Ulevan -hmbp
psql (8.4.0)
Type "help" for help.

levan=# select dblink('host=server user=levan dbname=levan
password=foobar');
ERROR: function dblink(unknown) does not exist
LINE 1: select dblink('host=server user=levan dbname=levan password=...
^
HINT: No function matches the given name and argument types. You
might need to add explicit type casts.

Everything was working fine till the installation of Snow Leopard.

I tried to rebuild dblink but got many bizarre errors.

I tried to rebuild postgresql 8.4 but there were problems with python
and warnings about perl
the build did not succeed.

Anyone else having problems?

Jerry