Re: Fuzzy matching

From: "Joe Conway" <joseph(dot)conway(at)home(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fuzzy matching
Date: 2001-08-03 20:00:52
Lists: pgsql-patches pgsql-sql

> > Our usual practice with stuff of uncertain usefulness has been to
> > stick
> > it in contrib for awhile and see if anyone uses it. If there's
> > sufficient interest, we'll promote it to mainstream in a future
> > release.
>
> Makes sense to me. Go, Joe!

Per this discussion, here's a patch to implement both levenshtein() and
metaphone() in a contrib. There seem to be a fair number of different
approaches to both of these algorithms. I used the simplest case for
levenshtein which has a cost of 1 for any character insertion, deletion, or
substitution. For metaphone, I adapted the same code from CPAN that the PHP
folks did.

A couple of questions:
1. Does it make sense to fold the soundex contrib together with this one?

2. I was debating trying to add multibyte support to levenshtein (it would
make no sense at all for metaphone), but a quick search through the contrib
directory found no hits on the word MULTIBYTE. Should worry about adding
multibyte support to levenshtein()?

Thanks,

Joe

Attachment Content-Type Size
fuzzystrmatch.diff application/octet-stream 26.4 KB