Difficulty with quotes

From: "Russ Brown" <postgres(at)dot4dot(dot)plus(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Difficulty with quotes
Date: 2003-06-17 13:04:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I'm trying to write a very simple SQL function, but I'm having problems
with it. My function is as follows:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION fnCPUpdateVolunteerType(int, text) RETURNS
INTEGER AS '
UPDATE vblVolunteerType
SET vchDisplayName = ''$2''
WHERE intVolunteerTypeID= $1;

SELECT 1;
' LANGUAGE SQL;

A very simple update function which gets accepted with no problems.

Then when I run something like this:

SELECT fnCPUpdateVolunteerType(17, 'Test');

The value of vchDisplayName in the applicable row gets set to '$2'.

I know I'm getting something very simple wrong but I can't figure it out
and I can't find anything in the documentation. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Russell Brown.