Re: Using Postgresql Replication

From: Iñigo Martinez Lasala <imartinez(at)vectorsf(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using Postgresql Replication
Date: 2010-02-22 14:40:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

PGcluster doesn’t work. One year ago we where trying to deploy a cluster
using pgcluster and we were unable to get it work without problems.

We finally selected slony. It works quite well and it’s quite easy to deploy
by following tutorials. We worked with slony-I. However, slony only
replicate data. You have to replicate manually triggers, functions, indexes,
etc if you use them.

We also tested pg pool and this one works very good. However you have to
deal with some minor issues if you use special functions that make use of
timestamps or random, for example. If you don’t use this kind of functions,
you could test pg_pool.

Pg_pool is easier to deploy than slony and also provides load balancing for
reading.