RE: postgresql and msaccess

From: John Hatfield <jhatfield(at)g-s(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "'DI Irina Hasenohrl'" <i(dot)hasenoehrl(at)aon(dot)at>
Cc: "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: postgresql and msaccess
Date: 2001-03-08 23:09:52
Lists: pgsql-odbc

There is an article at www.scw.org/pgaccess/faq.html about using access and
postgresql together.

Regards, John
-----Original Message-----
From: DI Irina Hasenohrl
Sent: Friday, 9 March 2001 9:01 AM
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [ODBC] postgresql and msaccess

hi,
I'm a beginner in postgresql but I'm familar with Msaccess. Now I use
postgresql 7.0.2 as backend and Msaccess as frontend via ODBC 6.5.
I studied many mailinglists and books, but I didn't find answers for the
following questions:

* I don't know if it's correct, but for me it looks like, that Msaccess
"copies" all rows from a table to the Jet engine when i use a form with a
joined table. I think, that this is a very slow solution for operating with
large tables. Can anyone tell me, how I can realize a serverside cursor?
* I have two tables f.e. table article(a_nr integer primary key,
a_bez varchar(3),
a_price float8) and
table client(t_nr integer primary key,
t_name varchar(30),
a_nr integer references
article on update cascade)
now I want to develope a "main-form" which shows one client and in the
"sub-form" there should be the articles corresponding to the client. It's
easy to realize this with the Jet-engine, but I'm interested to do this
with a serverside solution. Is it possible?
* when I start msaccess two times ( front1 and front2) and open the same
forms in both frontends and update an "article" in front1 this update is
transferred to front2. But when I add a new "article" in front1 this new
"article" doesn't exist in front2, I have to start the form again in order
to see the new article. Please can anyone tell me why?

I hope you can help me, because I don't know where I should search to get
answers to my questions. I'm thankful for all links, tips and informations
I can get.

Many thanks in advance

Irina
i(dot)hasenoehrl(at)aon(dot)at