RE: Is there anything like DESCRIBE?

From: Michael Davis <mdavis(at)sevainc(dot)com>
To: "'Mike D'Agosta'" <mdagosta(at)earthtribe(dot)net>, "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Is there anything like DESCRIBE?
Date: 2001-01-25 20:57:08
Lists: pgsql-sql

This works for me:

SELECT DISTINCT c.relname as table_name, a.attname as column_name, t.typname, pa.adsrc as default
FROM (pg_attribute a
join pg_class c on a.attrelid = c.oid
join pg_type t on a.atttypid = t.oid)
left join pg_attrdef pa on c.oid = pa.adrelid AND a.attnum = pa.adnum
where exists (select * from pg_tables where tablename = c.relname and substr(tablename,1,2) <> 'pg')
order by c.relname, a.attname;