pgAdmin connection error on NT and W98

From: Nicolas Huillard <nhuillard(at)ghs(dot)fr>
To: "pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: pgAdmin connection error on NT and W98
Date: 1999-10-26 16:59:24
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

I have different errors while running pgAdmin (6.5.2) on NT (4.0 SP4) and Windows 98, connecting to a Linux box (RH 5.1, Postgres 6.5.2 RPMs).

Under W98 :
I first installed just pgAdmin, then deinstalled it, and installed MDAC (mdac_typ.exe, 6.492.488 bytes), DCOM98 (dcom98.exe, 1.229.056 bytes) and then pgAdmin.
The error occurs while opennign the main pgAdmin window :

* Error - 26/10/99 17:45:57

Software
********
Program: pgAdmin
Version: 6.5.2
Sub or Function: frmMain, MDIForm_Load

Error Details
*************
Error No: -2147217887
Error Description: The request properties can not be supported by this ODBC Driver.
Error Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
DLL Error Code: 0

Memory Details
**************
Total Physical: 66572288
Total Swap: 2080907264
Total Virtual: 2143289344
Available Physical: 0
Available Swap: 2047569920
Available Virtual: 2085289984
Percentage Free: 81

System Details
**************
Processor: 586
OEM ID: 0
No. Processors: 1
Page Size: 4096

OS Details
**********
Platform: Windows 95/98
Version: 4.10
Build: 1998
OS Info:

Environment Details
*******************
Datasource: PostgreSQL
Tracking: False
TrackVer: 0
Connect: Provider=MSDASQL.1;Connect Timeout=15;Extended Properties="DSN=PostgreSQL;DATABASE=test;SERVER=auch;PORT=5432;UID=nhuillard;PWD=XXXXXX;READONLY=0;PROTOCOL=6.4;FAKEOIDINDEX=1;SHOWOIDCOLUMN=1;ROWVERSIONING=1;SHOWSYSTEMTABLES=1;CONNSETTINGS=";Locale Identifier=1036
Version: 2.1

I can open pgAdmin windows, but many things doesn't work. This error often arrives when openning windows.

I then had the following error while trying to migrate an Access database (last button in the migration wizard) :

* Error - 26/10/99 17:50:28

Software
********
Program: pgAdmin
Version: 6.5.2
Sub or Function: frmMigration, cmdMigrate_Click

Error Details
*************
Error No: -2147168242
Error Description: No transaction is active.
Error Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
DLL Error Code: 0

Memory Details
**************
Total Physical: 66572288
Total Swap: 2080907264
Total Virtual: 2143289344
Available Physical: 24576
Available Swap: 2045628416
Available Virtual: 2003042304
Percentage Free: 82

System Details
**************
Processor: 586
OEM ID: 0
No. Processors: 1
Page Size: 4096

OS Details
**********
Platform: Windows 95/98
Version: 4.10
Build: 1998
OS Info:

Environment Details
*******************
Datasource: PostgreSQL
Tracking: False
TrackVer: 0
Connect: Provider=MSDASQL.1;Connect Timeout=15;Extended Properties="DSN=PostgreSQL;DATABASE=test;SERVER=auch;PORT=5432;UID=nhuillard;PWD=XXXXXXXX;READONLY=0;PROTOCOL=6.4;FAKEOIDINDEX=1;SHOWOIDCOLUMN=1;ROWVERSIONING=1;SHOWSYSTEMTABLES=1;CONNSETTINGS=";Locale Identifier=1036
Version: 2.1

Under NT:
I cannot connect to Postgres using pgAdmin. I installed MDAC 2.1, then pgAdmin. The problem is that this machine is a very used server, and I cannot reboot it when I want, if I install something.
The error is stored in VSErr.log, and not in pgAdmin.log :

* Error - 25/10/99 18:48:49

Software
********
Program: Unknown
Version: Unknown
Sub or Function: frmODBCLogon, cmdOK_Click

Error Details
*************
Error No: 430
Error Description: Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface
Error Source: vsError
DLL Error Code: 0

Memory Details
**************