RE: [ADMIN] RE: [SQL] float4

From: JT Kirkpatrick <jt-kirkpatrick(at)mpsllc(dot)com>
To: "'Bruce Momjian'" <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'pgsql-admin(at)hub(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [ADMIN] RE: [SQL] float4
Date: 1999-07-01 12:38:41
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

we turned OFF "use declare / fetch" on all clients odbc, and at the same
time upped buffers in postmaster to 512. we are no longer locking! i
think it was the declare/fetch thing. i have the front end, for the most
part, limiting users to a small number of records being transferred. i
watched debug as a user (only one on) selected ONE record. the server sat
there and processed many many many fetch 100's. i turned it off on her
machine, and it did only exactly what she asked it to do -- select one
record. now some users run large reports that pull from lots of records --
they have to have declare/fetch on or they overload client machine memory
and access97 quits responding (so ctrl alt del and end-task. . .). looks
fairly stable now, although i'd like to have the declare/fetch turned on
somehow by the front-end if the user selected a certain long report, and
not by the user who could / WILL forget to turn it off for normal use. . .

thanks for everyone's help!

jt / mpsllc.com