Re: Re PostgreSQL on Windows

From: "Pirtea Calin Iancu" <pcalin(at)rdsor(dot)ro>
To: "PostgreSQL General List" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re PostgreSQL on Windows
Date: 2003-01-13 19:09:26
Lists: pgsql-general

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aurangzeb M. Agha"

> Hmm, I don't have a problem with it. I'm still on 7.2.8 (planning to
> upgrade soon), but I use PostgreSQL on my Win box (cygwin distribution)
> for development, and then have it running on my Linux staging and live
> servers.
>
> I find that it works flawlessly.
>
> I just do a:
>
> pg_dump -d dbname > dbfile.sql
>
> And then use the dbfile.sql to load my DB on the Linux boxes (or vice
> versa, that works fine too) and I'm good to go.

You missed the point. It has to install easily from scratch. That is install
both server and everything else without much user intervention.
When I give the software to a client he runs install and the server+my soft
gets installed.
You cannot do that with cygwin. Well maybe you can, but I bet is not that
easy.

Best regards,
Application Developer
Pirtea Calin Iancu