Re: Updates to the driver

From: "Dave Cramer" <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net>
To: "'Ned Wolpert'" <ned(dot)wolpert(at)knowledgenet(dot)com>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Updates to the driver
Date: 2001-11-01 00:48:07
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

At the moment log4j seems to be problematic, as well as loading property
files.

There are a couple of reasons I am leaning away from log4j:
1) the aforementioned property file problem (I will explain below)
2) it will require that the user add another file to their classpath,
and we have enough problems with ppl getting the driver on the
classpath.

Issues with log4j property files.

The biggest issue is that we have no control how we are being loaded.

In the case of a normal load where the driver is on the classpath I
couldn't get log4j to load it's default "log4j.properties" file even
though I put it everywhere I could think of. It is possible to load it
using
org.postgresql.Driver.ClassLoader.getResource("org/postgresql/log4j.prop
erties")
It's also possible to load it using
getResourceBundle("org.postgresql.log4j.properties")

There are a number of other unique cases

1) StarOffice needs the driver place in it's lib directory and I haven't
a clue how to control the logging under this scenario.
2) druid loads the driver using the JarClassLoader and instantiates it
from that. In this case the getResourceBundle fails as well

The upshot of this is that with enough work and by placing things in the
correct places I am sure we could get it to work, however the driver
should be "simple" to use and our logging requirements aren't that
demanding so I am thinking that we should roll our own.
I have been wondering about the licensing issues of just including
log4jme source into ours with the proper recognition of course.

At any rate before you go down the ".properties" path with configuration
files you may want to give some thought to the above. Also keep in mind
servlet engines and their weird class loading issues. My current bias is
to make sure we can load everything out of our own jar since we have no
control of how we are loaded.

Cheers,

Dave