Re: Lost rows/data corruption?

From: "Andrew Hall" <temp02(at)bluereef(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, "Alban Hertroys" <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl>
Cc: "Marco Colombo" <pgsql(at)esiway(dot)net>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lost rows/data corruption?
Date: 2005-02-17 08:40:25
Lists: pgsql-general

> I was wondering if this problem had ever shown up on a machine that
> HADN'T lost power abrubtly or not. IFF the only machines that
> experience corruption have lost power beforehand sometime, then I would
> look towards either the drives, controller or file system or somewhere
> in there.

I can't be sure. We have an automated maintenance process that reboots all
our customers machines every 10 days at 2am. Having said this I'm now
wondering if this may have something to do with the issue. This automated
process issues a 'shutdown' to the database (and all other processes), waits
20 seconds and then issues a 'reboot' to the kernel. If the database was
still processing, the active postmaster process may wait for the client to
complete the query before allowing it to close, but I'm assuming that if
this exceeds 20 seconds, the kernel will issue a 'sigquit' to the process
tree and reboot immediately. Could this cause corruption?