Re: Columns in pg_shadow?

From: "Michael A(dot) Mayo" <mmayo(at)mcauleybrooklyn(dot)org>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Columns in pg_shadow?
Date: 2000-05-22 19:32:23
Lists: pgsql-general

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
> BTW, the easiest way to learn about this sort of stuff is to scan the
> source code --- and if you don't have a handy tool for that, allow me
> to recommend "glimpse", http://glimpse.cs.arizona.edu/. I wasn't
> too sure about usetrace or usecatupd either, but it took just a few
> seconds to examine their uses and learn what I said above. (For fans of
> the One True Editor: I have an emacs macro that invokes glimpse in the
> same way as grep is called by the standard "grep" macro, so that you can
> step through all the hits with C-x `. Let me know if you need it.)

Many thanks for your response; that was exactly what I wanted to know.

I always assumed that in order to check the source code, I would have to
know which file the particular bit of code is in. Somehow, I never thought
of applying ultra-modern computing techniques like "searches." ;) In the
near future, I will try setting up glimpse or one of the other tools Giles
mentioned.

The emacs macro could certianly be useful; I would appreciate it if you
could send it as an attachment, or better yet, post it on the postgresql web
page so everyone can enjoy it. =)

-Mike