Re: Question about debugging bootstrapping and catalog entries

From: "Takayuki Tsunakawa" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question about debugging bootstrapping and catalog entries
Date: 2006-12-19 00:37:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello, Mr. Stark

> Are there any tricks people have for debugging bootstrapping
processing? I
> just need to know what index it's trying to build here and that
should be
> enough to point me in the right direction:

As Mr. Lane says, it would be best to be able to make postgres sleep
for an arbitrary time. The direction may be either a command line
option or an environment variable (like BOOTSTRAP_SLEEP) or both. iI
think the env variable is easy to handle n this case.

How about mimicing postgres with a script that starts gdb to run
postgres? That is, rename the original postgres module to
postgres.org and create a shell script named postgres like this:

#!/bin/bash
gdb postgres $*

Tell me if it works.