Re: FW: Postgres alongside MS SQL Server

From: Anony Mous <A(dot)Mous(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: "'Joshua D(dot) Drake'" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: Postgres alongside MS SQL Server
Date: 2004-04-28 16:19:11
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm not ruling out the idea of running with a separate linux box, but there
are some strong reasons to stick with the MS box. So, your point is well
taken.

That aside, however, I still need to draw from various people's experience
to get a feel for any problems that may arise when running next to MS SQL
Server. I've heard that Postgresql is a task that runs with "Normal"
priority, and can therefore not lock up the machine to the point where it's
not recoverable. In contrast, I've heard as well that MS SQL Server does
indeed run as a high priority task and will take precedence when the OS
doles out CPU resources.

How is it possible for Postgresql to "freak out" and take out the machine?

Replies are greatly appreciated.

-Peter