Re: Link to bug webpage

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
Cc: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Link to bug webpage
Date: 2001-08-22 15:52:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday 21 August 2001 17:51, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> > We need someone willing to be a kibo. Or is that too arcane a reference?

> Gotta admit, I haven't heard that in a while.

Egads! An Internet where people don't remember Kibo.... Vince remembers, as
does Marc,more than likely. But I got several emails asking 'What is a
kibo'. Wow.

James 'Kibo' Parry is, well, infamous in Usenet circles (or at least he used
to be). Mention 'kibo' in a newsgroup posting (this used to work years ago),
and 'Kibo' would reply. With 100MB of news per day, Kibo replied (in a
sanctimonious way, as if he were a god or something) to almost every single
mention of the name 'kibo'. I was halfway expecting a reply via the
newsgroup gateway, but kibo must have been asleep. Or the 100GB of news per
day has overwhelmed his bandwidth.... :-)

And the most oddball newsgroups would get replied to. People began putting
the string 'kibo' into their .sig's, prompting message after message.

Kibo appeared to be omniscient -- thus the reference to kibo. There was
actually a time where _every_ new posting with the word 'kibo' in it was
replied to.

In reality, kibo was driven by an intelligent regex running on a backbone
server (and, at the time, Software Tool and Die _was_ a backbone server).
All news postings referencing kibo were either auto-replied to, or Kibo
himself would reply.

A 'cult' of kibology developed, wondering what criteria would prompt personal
replies from Kibo (at this point, the capital K was being used....).

See www.kibo.com for all the flippant details. :-) Or ask kibo himself at
kibo(at)world(dot)std(dot)com(dot)

Wow, now I _know_ I've been on Usenet too long....

But we DO need someone willing to be a postgresql-kibo. I could think of no
better example of the completeness and attention to detail that was any
better than that, that I thought people here could relate to.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio