Re: Unexpected *ABORT STATE*

From: Mike Finn <mike(dot)finn(at)tacticalExecutive(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unexpected *ABORT STATE*
Date: 2001-07-31 18:21:45
Lists: pgsql-general

JanWieck wrote:

> That's an inconsistent DB state, isn't it?

I agree that there is in general an inconsistent state. However, in the
special case of an interactive session It would be nice to have the option of
rolling back myself.

> Are you sure you want that?

Not in general -- that would be very very bad. But in the special case...
well... yes.

My guess is that the underlying problem is that psql really doesn't know when
it is in an interactive session or not. The user could use an include \i
command at the prompt and would that then be interactive?

I conceed that on the whole it works properly and that protection of data
integrity should rule above all other concerns, especially ones of
convenience.

Sorry, for the noise.

Mike

Mike Finn
Tactical Executive Systems
mike(dot)finn(at)tacticalExecutive(dot)com