Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)
Date: 2001-07-18 18:59:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday 18 July 2001 13:52, Tom Lane wrote:
> here: I want 7.2 not to have any limitations that prevent it from being
> used in a true 24x7, up-forever scenario. VACUUM lockouts are fixed
> now, or nearly. The other stumbling blocks for continuous runs are OID

Go for it, Tom. After the posting the other day about the 200GB data per
week data load, this _really_ needs to be done. It won't directly affect me,
as my needs are a little more modest (just about anything looks modest
compared to _that_ data load).

Petty limitations such as these two need to go away, and soon -- we're
getting used by big installations now. This isn't Stonebraker's research
Postgres anymore. The 7.1 removal of previous limitations was nearly overdue
-- and these two issues of ID wrap need to be addressed -- my gut feel is
that the reports of OID/XID wrap are going to skyrocket within 6 months as
bigger and bigger installations try out PostgreSQL/RHDB (fact is that many
are going to try it out _because_ it has been relabeled by Red Hat....).

The MySQL/NuSphere articles illustrate that -- the NuSphere guy goes as far
as saying that the support of _Red_Hat_ is what gives PG credibilitiy -- and,
you have to admit, RH's adoption of PG does increase, in many circles, PG's
credibility.

Of course, PG has credibility with me for other reasons -- it was, IMHO, just
a matter of time before Red Hat saw the PostgreSQL Light.....
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio