Re: Re: Log files, how to rotate properly

From: Martín Marqués <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: Vivek Khera <khera(at)kcilink(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Log files, how to rotate properly
Date: 2001-06-15 16:09:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Vie 15 Jun 2001 21:08, you wrote:

> LO> Then whose fault is that? Is it our syslog calling, or the
> LO> receiving syslog not hearing? (Yes, I know that by default syslog
> LO> uses UDP)....
>
> Not on FreeBSD (probably most other BSD's as well), the default is to
> use a named pipe.
>
> Anyhow what is the best way to make postgres stop stderr logging when
> syslog logging is turned on? Right now I use "-l /dev/null" to pg_ctl
> when starting the server. This seems to me that the server will still
> waste cycles doing the stderr printing.

Talking aout sql.log rotate, my rotates are quite strange, or give strange
results. After a rotate I have an sql file that has a binary part at the
begining, and after quite a few pages of ^(at)s the logs, properly, starts.

I'm using this script to rotate syslog, maillog, etc. but I'm having trble
with sql.log.

Saludos.... ;-)

It's rotating, but the file that is left to have he output of postgres has a
bunch of bianry data first, and then the log.

--
Cualquiera administra un NT.
Ese es el problema, que cualquiera administre.