Re: 9.2RC1 wraps this Thursday ...

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.2RC1 wraps this Thursday ...
Date: 2012-08-21 15:30:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Tom Lane
> * pg_ctl crashes on Win32 when neither PGDATA nor -D specified

> I'm not sure that this qualifies as a release blocker either --- isn't
> it a plain-vanilla pre-existing bug? And what does the proposed patch
> have to do with the stated problem? (Even if you define the problem
> as "make sure we're restricted" rather than the stated symptom, the
> patch looks rather fragile and Rube Goldbergian ...

This is to handle one part of the overall problem. Below is text from
previous mail discussion due to which new handling is introduced:
"
> I note that "postgres -C data_directory" will refuse to run on the
> command line because I've got admin privileges in Windows, and that
> pg_ctl normally starts postgres.exe using CreateRestrictedProcess.
> But it does not do so for the popen call in adjust_data_dir.

-- By you
if that actually is a third bug, as seems likely, somebody with access
to a windows environment will need to deal with it."

I have tried to define the handling similar to InitDB where for
administrative users,
it re-forks itself in a restricted mode as it has to start postgres.

> isn't there a way to actually test if we're in a restricted process?

Do you mean to say that it should check if pg_ctl runs as an administrative
user
then do the re-fork in restricted mode.
If something else, then could you please give more detail about what is
exact expectation to handle the above issue.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.