Optimal shmem_buffers and sort memory

From: "Mitch Vincent" <mitch(at)venux(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Optimal shmem_buffers and sort memory
Date: 2000-08-01 13:56:45
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a pretty beefy machine as a production server and want to tune the
postmaster as much as I can to take advantage.

I don't want to get outrageous with the shmem_buffers ( -B ) and sort_mem
( -S ) but don't know what outrageous would really be.

Could any provide some explanation and/or tips with regard to correctly
using the shmem_buffers and sort_mem options?

Thanks!

-Mitch