Re: simple query question

From: "Gregory Wood" <gregw(at)com-stock(dot)com>
To: "Dan Maher" <dan(dot)maher(at)home(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: simple query question
Date: 2001-12-24 16:17:06
Lists: pgsql-general

> I want to find a row in a table that has a column that matches a string
like

> "jack nicholson - one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
>
> but the columns I have are:
>
> actor movie
> ------ --------
> jack nicholson One flew over the cuckoo's nest

You should be able to concatenate both fields together (with the spaces and
dash) when doing your search:

UPDATE blah WHERE actor||' - '||movie = "jack nicholson - one flew over the
cuckoo's nest";

Remember, it's just a comparison operator... it just compares what's on the
left side to the right, not just a single column with another value.

> <sql idiot mode>
> Also, if there is a DB-independent way to do this without a specific
> PostgreSQL operator, that would be ideal.
> </sql idiot mode>

I believe || is SQL standard for concatenation, so you should be fine using
that.

Greg