query

From: Jodi Kanter <jkanter(at)virginia(dot)edu>
To: Postgres Admin List <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: query
Date: 2002-11-15 20:47:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have a query that pulls two fields across three tables such that the results are in two columns:

layout.probe spot.signal
value1 some value
value2 some value
value3 some value
value1 some value
value2 some value
value3 some value

I have three tables: spot, measurement, layout. The measurement table exists in the query because it sits between the spot and layout tables which hold the data that I want.

My goal is to produce a report that lists the signal values in separate columns (instead of having the probe value repeat) such that the results look like this:

layout.probe signal signal
value1 some value some value
value2 some value some value
value3 some value some value

What is the most efficient way to do this? I assume it would require placing the data in temporary tables? Is there some complicate query design that could handle this?
Please contact me if my description is not clear.

Thank you
Jodi
Jodi L Kanter
BioInformatics Database Administrator