Re: Why Not MySQL?

From: "Mitch Vincent" <mitch(at)huntsvilleal(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why Not MySQL?
Date: 2000-05-02 22:28:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

A very, very good article. I love the comment about MySQL being a filesystem
with an SQL interface :-)

However.. I'm faced with a huge dilemma.

We use PostgreSQL for a fairly large application I wrote, the database is
still pretty small, it carries info on about 25-30,000 people and about
5,000 jobs. Recently we've had huge trouble with PostgreSQL -- it seems that
every month I stump someone with the obscure things that happen to our data
:-)

From corrupted indexes to corrupted system tables, it's almost always
unrecoverable. Luckily I always have a backup to restore from and the world
goes on... We've only recently started to notice that the backend is slowing
down. It seems that with every additional applicant added it get
exponentially slower... So, sadly I have to go find another backend for this
application -- a commercial one too so we can get "commercial support"
(yuck)..

So, could you guys suggest some other backends I might look into? I know
it's an odd place for me to ask but the flat truth is that I think *I* am to
blame for my Postgres troubles and even taking all of the problems into
account I think PG is the best damn free RDBMS out there. It's functionality
is superior to everyone else's, it's developers are no less than amazing and
well -- I trust you guys to give me some honest opinions.. The functionality
I need is basically what PG has.. Transactions are a must as well as some
sort of sequence -- stability over performance but performance is very
important too. It also needs to run native on FreeBSD..

Oracle is out as we use FreeBSD and someone out there decided that they
wouldn't support FreeBSD (in the license as well as in the code!)..

Thanks guys, especially to all who tried to help in private (Don, Tom --
many others)..

-Mitch