Re: php as stored procedures

From: "Adam Lang" <aalang(at)rutgersinsurance(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: php as stored procedures
Date: 2001-01-31 18:43:49
Lists: pgsql-general

I remember a year ago when I was looking at open source DBs, MySQL was
supposed to be getting php script support inside the database.

As for having a pl/PHP, I do not believe it is a dire need. If it would
make someone's life easier, fine, I don't see why it couldn't be coded and
added... I just don't see it as something the steering committee
should/would use their time on. It should be a project that is done on the
outside and submitted in.

The way I see it (as for adding languages to postgres) is a lot like what
Microsoft does for their scripting language. You set up basic core
functionality that supports the most users (WSH, VBScript, and Jscript) and
then have it so that other developers can make add-ons to support other
languages. As an example, you can get a python and/or perl engine that will
run over the Windows Scripting Host. Perl script on Windows isn't something
overly important for MS to support, but the functionality was there to allow
someone that did see a need for it to be able to develop add-ons for it.
I'd say something along the lines of pl/ languages work the same way. The
major ones are supported, if someone wants to add more, more power to them.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com