Re: how do you run your backups?

From: "David Wall" <d(dot)wall(at)computer(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how do you run your backups?
Date: 2001-01-27 03:40:52
Lists: pgsql-general

> Is there a way to start with yesterday's dump and load each transaction
> log dump in order until you have a complete restore of the database?

Does recovery of pg_dump and the transaction logs work with a backup and
then doing a rollforward on the transaction logs? What would be the
procedure? It doesn't seem as though there is any real connection between a
pg_dump and the backup of transaction logs.

Also, does a pg_dump guarantee a consistent view of all of the tables in a
database at a given snapshot in time, or does it simply dump the contents of
each table as they are encountered while dumping?

And what format of pg_dump is required to also dump the large objects so
that they can be automatically loaded back on failure recovery (or just
copying the database to another computer)?

David