Re: Thought on OIDs

From: "Mitch Vincent" <mitch(at)venux(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thought on OIDs
Date: 2001-03-02 14:51:01
Lists: pgsql-general

> Hi!
>
> A thought just hit me and I got a bit worried... If OIDs are "globaly"
> unique and I have a very high data-throughput on my database, i.e. I do a
> lot of inserts and deletes, is it then possible to "run out" of OIDs? If
> this can occur, will it cause any problems?

Yes it can happen, yes it will cause problems..

> Need I worry? =)

It depends on how busy "busy" is to you :-)

There was a rather long thread about this a few weeks ago, I believe there
was discussion of wrapping OIDs but I'm not sure how the conversation turned
out -- one of the core developers will have to comment..

-Mitch