Re: Memory exeception

From: Per-Olof Norén <pelle(at)alma(dot)nu>
To: <nickf(at)ontko(dot)com>, "Peter Wasem" <peter(dot)wasem(at)itag(dot)ch>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Memory exeception
Date: 2001-11-07 15:27:01
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Fankhauser" <nickf(at)ontko(dot)com>
To: "Peter Wasem" <peter(dot)wasem(at)itag(dot)ch>; <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 2:52 PM
Subject: Re: [JDBC] Memory exeception

> > The query addresses some 100'000 rows. When stmt.executeQuery() is
> > executed suddenly an exception occurs.
> > The same program works fine with other JDBC drivers.
>
> Any other clues? Does it just say "memory exception", or is there more?
>
> I've had terrible performance occur when retrieving huge ResultSets
> (presumably because I had caused swapping to occur at the OS level), but
not
> an exception.

I am using viennaSQL (a swing based jdbc gui client) to retrieve huge (800
000) Resultsets.
The java VM needs to be launched with the appropriate memory settings.
for example: "java -Xmx512m MyClass" which allows this vm 512 Megabytes of
memory.
I think this exception should have been OutOfMemoryException and not
MemoryException
for this to be the reason. Anyway, try starting your app with more memory
available.

ps
disregard my last posting, i wasn´t reading the subject line to well :-)
ds