Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: "'Stephen Frost'" <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "'Andres Freund'" <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "'Alvaro Herrera'" <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "'Josh Berkus'" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "'Dimitri Fontaine'" <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>, "'David Johnston'" <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'Gregory Stark'" <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date: 2013-08-02 07:23:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Friday, August 02, 2013 8:57 AM Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Andres Freund (andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> > FWIW, I think you've just put the final nail in the coffin of this
> > patch by raising the barriers unreasonably high.
>
> For my 2c, I don't think it's an unreasonable idea to actually
> *consider* what options are available through this mechanism rather
> than just presuming that it's a good idea to be able to modify
> anything, including things that you wouldn't be able to fix after a
> restart w/o hacking around in $PGDATA.

I think if user has set any value wrong such that it doesn't allow server to
start,
we can provide an option similar to pg_resetxlog to reset the auto file.

How about with such an option user might loose some settings?
1. We can think of providing reset for an particular parameter.
2. Suggestions in docs that in case of such a scenario, he can remember
values from auto file and reset the settings.

As this can happen only in rare scenario's, I think it can make sense to
provide such option.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.