SV: Table whose name has Capital letters

From: "Jarmo Paavilainen" <netletter(at)comder(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: SV: Table whose name has Capital letters
Date: 2000-11-24 11:44:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

> I have created a table with the name 'Nov2000' and now it is impossible to
> access it, because psql is always searching for the table 'nov2000'.

Put the table name inside quotes. ie: SELECT FROM "Nov2000" _not_ SELECT
FROM Nov2000

> Have I done something wrong or is it a bug ? I mean, it seems psql is
> alwyas converting the query string to lowercase, but it doesn't when you
> create a table, a index or a sequence.

*I think* its a bug. But no it is not, its so by design (SQL92 thing).

// Jarmo

PS: Im thinking of making a own hack of pg where selects are case sensitive
(ie Nov2000 and "Nov2000" are the same). If someone is interested, Ill
upload the diff somewhere. DS.