Re: JDBC Logging & log4j

From: "Serguei Mokhov" <mokhov(at)cs(dot)concordia(dot)ca>
To: <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: JDBC Logging & log4j
Date: 2002-03-16 21:39:43
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Cramer" <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net>
Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2002 4:15 PM

> Do we want to put logging in the driver?
> Why?
> How much?
> At what cost?

Needless to say, logging is essential thing to have,
but to answer the above questions one answer could be - to try.
If those who care about the logging facilities, could
simply mirror current dev. tree of the driver, and some in,
and compare performance between the two on the same set of
tests.

Another possible solution just came into my not-always-so-smart-head,
is to write some pre-processing ourselves :). Put some special types
of comments in the places where the logging seems appropriate like:

//{DEBUG

logSmthHere();

//}DEBUG

Just a simple {PERL, Shell, Python, whatever}-script may run through the sources
and produce two jars, one compiled with DEBUG as it is, the other
one will be a stripped out //{DEBUG version. Yes, I know this will require
some tmp space and some extra processing, but could be a solution too.

2 Canadian cents

-s