Inifinite socket send from backend to java servlet

From: Rich Ryan <postgres(at)weblynk(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Inifinite socket send from backend to java servlet
Date: 1999-11-03 04:58:27
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I'm running RH Linux 5.2, Jdk 1.1.7v3 on machine A, and RH Linux 6.1,
postgres 6.5.2 on machine B. Some queries made from A to B never return. It
looks like the java servlet on machine A skipped out on the query or the
thread died or got interrupted or something, and machine B is infinitely
waiting for it to read query results. Doing a ps -x will show several
postmaster processes doing SELECT's, but just sitting there, ( not SELECT
waiting), but not consuming any cpu time either. When I restart the web
server on machine A and then immediately look at the postgres log file on
machine B, I get a ton of these messages...

FATAL: pq_endmessage failed: errno=32
pq_flush: send() failed: Broken pipe

Within a half day or so, my database connection pool is exhausted because
there taken up by these infinite waits. Of course, I could write a db
connection timeout thread that closes these lazy connections, and I suspect
that the postmaster processes on machine B would detect the broken
connection and go away also, but still... seems like pretty icky behavior.
Any comments?
Rich