Re: postgres limitation -what does it mean? (8k row limit)

From: "Mitch Vincent" <mitch(at)venux(dot)net>
To: "Matt Friedman" <matt(at)sprynewmedia(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres limitation -what does it mean? (8k row limit)
Date: 2001-01-27 17:01:24
Lists: pgsql-general

In your src/include directory of the PostgreSQL tree (pre 7.1 of course) --
edit config.h (after you run configure or config.h.in before) and look for
the line(s) :

/*
* Size of a disk block --- currently, this limits the size of a tuple.
* You can set it bigger if you need bigger tuples.
*/
/* currently must be <= 32k bjm */
#define BLCKSZ 32768

There I have mine to 32k, the upper limit.

Change it, save it, recompile PG, you will have to initdb and import all
your data too..

Viola!

Remember. Just because I haven't had any problems doesn't mena you won't.
Check the mailing list archives, I there was a thread on the possible
dangers of BLCKSZ.

Depending on what you're doing, you might want to check out 7.1 Beta (4 is
the latest I think), I've been running various beta versions for a month
(not in production) but it seems pretty stable and there is no limit on
tuple size :-)

-Mitch