Used Memory

From: "Christian Paul B(dot) Cosinas" <cpc(at)cybees(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Used Memory
Date: 2005-10-21 03:40:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

HI!

I am having a confusion to the memory handling of postgreSQL.

Here is the Scenario.

I rebooted my Server which is a PostgreSQL 8.0 Running on Redhat 9, which is
a Dual Xeon Server and 6 gig of memory.

Of course there is not much memory still used since it is just restarted.

But after a number of access to the tables the memory is being used and it
is not being free up. Actually after this access to the database and the
server is just idle

The memory is still used up. I am monitoring this using the "free" command
which gives me about 5.5 gig of used memory and the rest free.

Is there something that I should do to minimize and free up the used memory?

Thanks You.

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html