Re: MS Access out-performs PostgreSQL 7?

From: "Joseph Sircy" <webmaster(at)dnhawaii(dot)com>
To: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)readysetnet(dot)com>, "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: "pgsql list" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MS Access out-performs PostgreSQL 7?
Date: 2000-07-18 19:52:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

In reponse to all of your replies,
It very well could be user error! Please understand that our test in
comparing access does not mean that access is our other choice, it just
happened to be available.
I have installed 7.0.2 from the website, it is not the version that comes
with redhat.
When I said access was "on the same server" I didn't mean it was actually
"running" under redhat, it is in fact just on the same drive as psql. This
was done to clear up communication/performance issues with the servers.
I am using ODBC to connect in my asp scripts, and I think this may be the
problem.
Maybe I need to try a different ODBC driver, or if anyone knows of a better
way to connect in asp scripts to psql, please let me know.
I would also like to note that if this was in a real world app, i would use
stored procedures for this, but since access cannot do this, it didnt do it
for this test.

I am a believer in Linux, and the open source revolution, and I didnt mean
for this to be one of those "NT vs Linux" posts!

Joe Sircy
Webmaster
dnhawaii.com