Shall I use pgsql on Windows for a productive system?

From: "Martin Schmiedel" <martin(dot)schmiedel(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Shall I use pgsql on Windows for a productive system?
Date: 2003-09-25 15:53:40
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I am about to develop a web-based application using Java for a school,
and I am still thinking about which technology I should be using for my
database server. I will most surely use a WinNT, 2k or XP PC as server
(I think the client will not want a dedicated server, but rather a PC
that someone could use to work with, which is not a good idea but I
cannot force them to use a Linux dedicated server if they don't want
to).

Now my obvious question is. Will Postgresql work fine if mounted as a
productive DB server on cygwin? The traffic will not be too heavy, so I
am not too much concerned about it, but rather about a stable and
adequate functionality (as stable as Windows can be :-)).

My other option is to use MySQL 4.x (the newest available, production
version), which is easy to migrate between Windows and Linux.

Recommendations are welcome.

Regards. Martin Schmiedel