Re: pgpass.conf

From: "Ashish Karalkar" <ashish(dot)karalkar(at)info-spectrum(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgpass.conf
Date: 2007-07-10 11:04:56
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-general

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Ashish Karalkar" <ashish(dot)karalkar(at)info-spectrum(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] pgpass.conf

> Ashish Karalkar wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I am trying tu run a script to create database from a batch programme
>> and dont want to supply password everytime.
>> So i tried to setup pgpass.conf file.
>> File is kept in user profile/application data
>> i.e
>> C:\Documents and Settings\postgres\Application
>> Data\postgresql\pgpass.conf
>>
>> file contains:
>>
>> localhost:5432 :*:postgres:mypass
>> localhost:5432:qsweb:qsweb:mypass1
>>
>> Still the batch asks for the password.!!!
>> I am just not getting why its not reading password from pgpass file.
>>
>> can anyone please figure out what is going wrong.
>
> Under what user account is the batch file being run? The pgpass.conf
> file needs to be under *that* user account, which is not necessarily the
> one that the postgresql server runs under.
>
> Regards, Dave

The batch file is run under postgres user, also owner of the pgpass.conf
file is postgres.
As far as my knowledge the permission checking is not done on windows
anyways the owner is same so i dont think there is any problem of permission

from pg documents:
"The permissions on .pgpass must disallow any access to world or group;
achieve this by the command chmod 0600 ~/.pgpass. If the permissions are
less strict than this, the file will be ignored. (The file permissions are
not currently checked on Microsoft Windows, however.)"