Re: Suggestions for implementing IS DISTINCT FROM?

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Thomas Lockhart" <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Hackers List" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Suggestions for implementing IS DISTINCT FROM?
Date: 2002-06-24 03:44:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Please, please, do not do that. Make a new expression node tree type,
> instead. We've made this mistake before (eg for BETWEEN) and I don't
> want to do it again.

I've actually already done almost all the work for converting BETWEEN to a
node but I have a couple of questions:

Should I use a boolean in the node to indicate whether it is SYMMETRIC or
ASYMMETRIC, or should I use some sort of integer to indicate whether it is
SYMMETRIC, ASYMMETRIC or DEFAULT (ASYMMETRIC). That way the reverse in
rules and views could leave out the ASYMMETRIC if it wasn't specified
originally, rather than always adding it in. Which is better?

Chris