Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources

From: "Al Sutton" <al(at)alsutton(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, "bpalmer" <bpalmer(at)crimelabs(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources
Date: 2002-11-27 08:21:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The problem I have with VMWare is that for the cost of a licence plus the
additional hardware on the box running it (CPU power, RAM, etc.) I can buy a
second cheap machine, using VMWare doesn't appear to save me my biggest
overheads of training staff on Unix and cost of equipment (software and
hardware). I've been looking at Bochs, but 1.4.1 wasn't stable enough to
install RedHat, PostgreSQL, etc. reliably.

The database in question holds order information for over 2000 other
companies, and is growing daily. There is also a requirement to keep the
data indefinatley.

The developers are developing two things;

1- Providing an interface for the companies employees to update customer
information and answer customer queries.

2- Providing an area for merchants to log into that allows them to generate
some standardised reports over the order data, change passwords, setup
repeated payment system, etc.

Developing these solutions does include the possibilities of modify the
database schema, the configuration of the database, and the datatypes used
to represent the data (e.g. representing encyrpted data as a Base64 string
or blob), and therefore the developers may need to make fundamental changes
to the database and perform metrics on how they have affected performance.

Hope this helps,

Al.